Exciting developments are happening to apprenticeships across the Bailiwick
During the last two years, the Guernsey College of Further Education has been working in partnership with employers and other key stakeholders to complete a comprehensive review of the States Registered Apprenticeship Scheme. The aim of the review was to ensure that the College continues to meet the needs of all local industries and support them by providing a fit for purpose, skilled and professional workforce.
The key findings of the review were:
- The review highlighted that additional industry sectors would benefit from apprenticeships.Employers from across a wide range of local industries identified that apprenticeships are needed in order to develop their future workforce.
- Employers expressed a desire to work closely with the College in the recruitment of apprentices and would welcome the development of a partnership approach to applications moving forward.The College is currently developing an application model and will be looking for feedback on the proposals in the coming months.
- Employers have identified that it could be favourable to have the option to fast-track an apprentice through their qualifications, if the employers and the College are supportive of this approach.Some of the current apprenticeship programmes have already been consolidated, which has helped them to come in line with industry standards as defined by employers but work continues to be done in this area.
- The necessity to equip all our learners with a Level 2 qualification in English and Maths was strongly voiced by all sectors.The College has acted upon this and has put in place plans to ensure any apprentice can gain these qualifications.
- Employers considered the two main aspects of the grant: the financial value and the need for it to remain available.The review established that not all employers required the grant. However, in order for some employers to continue to be able to support an apprentice, a grant still needs to be available. Following significant research, the grant has been simplified to a standardised amount of £1,500 per year for the first two years of an apprenticeship. A simple grant application system available to all will be introduced in 2019.
It is important to note that for all employers who currently have an existing apprentice (including those that enrolled in September 2018) the old grant aid model for employers will remain in place until the completion of their qualifications.
Deputy Fallaize, President of the Committee for Education, Sport & Culture, said:
“Within any service area, it is important that the needs of the customer are kept at the forefront of the provider’s mind and that there is the ability to change the provision available dependent on this. It is clear that throughout the two-year review, Guernsey College of Further Education has met with and listened to the views of its stakeholders and re-developed the apprenticeship scheme so that the needs of our local industries and community can be met.”
Louise Misselke, Principal of Guernsey College of Further Education, said:
“As a result of the extensive consultation process with employers, we believe that The Guernsey Apprenticeship will continue to equip and support local industries with a skilled and professional workforce. We are committed to working in partnership with employers to monitor and review the new apprenticeship scheme. If you would like to be involved in these developments, please get in touch with the apprenticeship team.”
One of the new apprenticeships available from September 2019 will be retail. Donna Abel, Chief Human Resources Officer for the Channel Islands Co-operative Society, said:
“This is a very exciting time and a first for the Retail Industry in Guernsey. It is a great step in the right direction and provides a fantastic opportunity for retailers to build a stronger external pipeline of talent as well as providing professional retail qualifications to our existing workforce.”
The apprenticeship team can be contacted on 01481 737500 or email@example.com if you would like any further information or would like to be involved. There is more detailed information on apprenticeships currently available here